Wednesday, March 14, 2018

#7. Binge Watching

As a college student and eventual human person, there are a lot of fun things I could be doing with my youth. I can go out and meet pretty women or go on adventures filled with debauchery and spectacle. But, in the age of smartphones and attention spans that last only 8 seconds, anything past me getting up off the bed, grabbing my keys and wallet, putting my shoes on and going out the door, I've already lost interest. Doing things takes too much time. But in the magical world of the internet, you can go on any adventure you want through the power of Netflix.

Image result for the leftovers

As of late, I have been watching two television shows primarily (Not The Leftovers, although here's a clip) and that is Netflix's Love and my DVD set of Firefly.  

Image result for love show
The final season of Love popped up on Netflix on March 9th, I had/have a viewing commitment for this show and was unable to properly "binge" it, but have managed to watch through half the season. The show is funny and mushy, taking a look at relationships in the modern era and how two strangers can become close knitted love birds (at least as far as I am.) The show can seem very inside baseball with its California set location following behinds the scenes of a pulpy CW type show and the goings on at a broadcast radio station (where the main leads, Gus and Mickey, work respectively.) Despite this, the show can be oddly sweet and painstakingly awkward as you watch the two love birds try to work it out.


Image result for fireflyIn my interim of watching Love due to viewing partner complications, I have revisited a show that defined the second (or third depending on how you look at life and time) "phase" of my life. That show is Firefly. Firefly is a one season wonder, only lasting 14 episodes (which is pretty good considering only having one season to establish a tone) and a movie called Serenity. It follows a crew in space, wondering aimlessly through the black, taking up quick crime to keep afloat. The show hit a tone that was unique at the time and also the baby of Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Angel fame. I started rewatching the show just out of an urge to rewatch the series finale Objects in Space. In it, a mysterious man takes out the entire crew one by one whilst spouting off philosophical questions. This is what ushered me into a head space where The Leftovers would seem more at home, and, for that, I am eternally grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment