Monday, January 22, 2018

#1. Personal Video Habits

Image result for breaking badI would consider myself a film enthusiast. I grew up watching movies all of the time. It wasn't until I convinced my father to buy the first two dvd box sets of the AMC series Breaking Bad that I was bitten by the "tv bug." I, like some people at the time, didn't consider tv and film to be on the same "level." It wasn't until I saw Breaking Bad that I finally realized the potentials of television as a medium. 

Then I found The Leftovers


The Leftovers is what I consider the pinnacle of storytelling through television. It expresses ideas and utilizes writing techniques that eclipse almost any other show. While I still consider Breaking Bad the standard of today's tv, The Leftovers is my favorite show, for it does everything I could have never imagined and more with its format. 


Image result for the leftovers
The Leftovers ended in the summer of 2017. After I bought the blu ray of the third and final season, I allowed myself one more viewing before putting it away for presumably a number of years (It has been 4 years since I last watched the entire series of Breaking Bad, which I have returned to with it's 10th anniversary having just past.)

Image result for breaking bad
With me being done with The Leftovers for now, I haven't watched as much tv as I would like. With it being the beginning of the semester and books are a things college students have to purchase, my Netflix was the first to go. I did, however, find someone to bum Netflix off of so nothing much has changed as far as that. 


Image result for end of the fucking world
Since then, I binged the Netflix show The End of the F***ing World. Its a quick new British series with 8 episodes each spanning 20 or so minutes. It's an easy binge that I knocked out in 2 days and could have easily gotten through in one (the full run time is about 2 hours and 45 minutes.) Another show I have been dabbling in is HBO's Crashing. It is a show done by Pete Holmes. It's about comedians. Its probably not for everyone. I'm currently waiting for the Netflix originals A Series of Unfortunate Events and Love to come back. Neither will until March 2018.


Image result for nerdwriter1
If I'm not watching a show I do a lot of YouTube watching. I have a pretty strange YouTube watching habit, but my less weird things usually include me learning something. I enjoy watching videos about writing, storytelling, and filmmaking structure. The channels I frequent for these types of videos are NerdWriter1, Patrick (H) Willems, ScreenPrism, and many more. If I'm not watching those I am usually watching whatever I'm subscribed to which is 80% movie related and 20% randomly assorted. 

I prefer physical media to watching say Netflix o
r Hulu. Blurays look a lot better with the frame rate fixed and not changing due to your connection to the internet. I have a bunch of blurays in my closet in my dorm, but I don't have a tv or a bluray player so they're really just for show.

2 comments:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.
    https://www.techinpost.com/how-to-add-epic-friends-on-xbox/

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.techinpost.com/how-to-add-epic-friends-on-xbox/


    It’s an amazing piece of writing for all the internet users;
    they will take benefit from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete